Gathering risk scenarios & incident information, and updating them can be an intense job, especially if the available data is scattered over multiple files and multiple formats. Often clients have the need to merge parts of data from different sources and tend to ask for help to do this in a decent manner. Luckily the BowTieXP software supports this need through different methods. The purpose of this blog is to make this job easier by providing you with handles for future importing of data.
Part 4: Preparing and updating existing data via the ‘Update existing data from external file’ method
This part of the importing data series will show you how you can update existing data from external files such as Excel files or .xml files. This specific method allows you to update current entities and pieces of data, however, you cannot use it to add new entities. To add new entities, use one of the other three importing methods described in part 1, 2 and 3.
This tutorial blog covers the following aspects:
- Understand the essentials to build an adequate template: BowTieXP hierarchy
- Updating existing data via an external file
Understand the essentials
Before showing you how to perform the data update, you need to know how BowTieXP hierarchy works so you can build an adequate template and prepare your data the right way. This part of the process is exactly the same as elaborately described in part 2 of this blog series. Find it at: Before prepping your data: learn the BowTieXP language.
The key knowledge you need is how to apply hierarchy by using the ‘Id’ – ‘ParentId’ relation. If you do this correctly, BowTieXP will know how certain entities link to others, but also which entity must be updated. See image below.
Updating existing data via an external file
The ‘Update existing data from external file’ method can be used as follows:
- Open BowTieXP, and optionally the BowTieXP file where you want to import the data.
- Go to ‘File’ > ‘Update existing data from external file…’
- A pop-up will appear. Click on the dotted line button in the upper right corner (image below).
- A second pop-up will appear giving you the possibility to locate the source file you want to use. Locate > select > and press ‘Open’.
- Now the first pop-up window will be updated showing the selected file and possible sheets from the Excel file which can be used as the source. Select the sheet which holds the data you want to update (image below).
- Configure step 2 and 3 within the pop-up window. Usually, this can be left unchanged as most of the time the default setting is the correct one. Selecting the ‘ID guid values’ option tells BowTieXP that the hierarchy ID’s are leading when it comes to identifying the relevant entities.
- Finally, click on the ‘Update Data’ button in the lower left corner of the popup to start the procedure (image below).
- A new pop-up window will display the mutations after the import process has finished. From this moment the relevant entities should be updated in BowTieXP (eg. TR Training Manager > EM Education Manager).
Congratulations, you have successfully updated existing data via the ‘Update existing data from external file’ method.